Focus on the Family (hereinafter, “Focus“) websites are based on a set of foundational Christian beliefs. We make no apologies for holding a Judeo-Christian perspective of marriage, family and the value of life and children. Thanks for your openness to respectfully consider our viewpoints. To find out more about our organization, please visit About Us.
PLEASE READ THESE POSTING GUIDELINES CAREFULLY BEFORE USING OUR SITES. By posting any content to a Focus site, you signify your assent to these guidelines. If you do not agree with any part of the following guidelines, do not post to our sites. These Posting Guidelines may be updated from time to time without notice to you. Focus may republish any material contributed by our users. By posting a message, users expressly grant Focus the right to republish or sell the posted content as part of any edited compilation.
1. POSTING RULES AND ONLINE ETIQUETTE. As our online communities have developed, we’ve discovered a need to establish guidelines for posting user-generated content to our sites. You are solely responsible for the content or information you publish or display (hereinafter, “post“) on any of our sites, or transmit to other users. Users may be held legally responsible for copyright infringement, defamation or invasion of privacy, as well as any damages arising out of actions resulting from materials submitted by them and posted by Focus. By using our sites, you agree to adhere to the following rules:
- In an effort to foster civil discourse, community users are required to communicate with the respect, love, and understanding that Christ would expect from all of us. Therefore, refrain from addressing topics that you would not be willing to bring up with a close, Christian friend or mentor and strive to maintain a tone like that you would use when speaking to a valued friend.
- No strong, vulgar, graphic, obscene, racial, or otherwise harmful or derogatory language is permitted. When posting about sexual matters, comments should be discreet, appropriate, and not overly detailed.
- No harassing, intimidating, stalking, or threatening other Focus users.
- No libelous, defamatory, or slanderous language aimed at other users or members of your family. It’s important that our online community uphold the sanctity of the marriage relationship and foster respect among family members.
- No impersonating any person, including, but not limited to, other Focus users or employees of Focus.
- No invasion of another’s privacy.
- No actions that are harmful to minors.
- No posting, distributing, transmitting, or promoting illegal content.
- No posting, providing, transmitting, or otherwise making available any information that you do not have a right to make available due to contract, fiduciary duty, or operation of law (such as inside, proprietary or confidential information).
- No posting, providing, transmitting, or otherwise making available any junk mail or spam.
- No posting, uploading, emailing, or otherwise transmitting any material that contains any malicious computer code (including spyware, worms, Trojan horses, viruses, malware, etc.).
- No off-topic posts that go outside the scope of, or move the conversation away from, the original intent of the blog or forum.
- No discussion of medical or legal topics that should be handled in a professional setting.
- No photos, videos, surveys, solicitations, personal research, soliciting or marketing are permitted.
- No extended or disrespectful debates between users.
- No links from Focus sites to other websites unless such other websites are related to the topic being discussed.
- No posting of any material that is copyright protected without written permission from the copyright owner. You are responsible for ensuring that your message or posting does not violate any existing copyrights.
- No posting of any personal identifying information, including but limited to your last name, date of birth, street address, e-mail address, or any other identifying information that might allow others improper access to you or your family, or to impact the security of your identity.
- No collecting, storing, or posting of personal data about or of other community members.
- No posting of comments that refer specifically to any current political candidate, or any measure on or being considered for, a current ballot – at any level of local, state, or federal government. Focus is a non-profit entity qualified under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and, therefore, cannot take a position on specific votes or display on our sites any statements related to specific voting positions. In addition, we cannot discuss or permit posts of personal viewpoints on political candidates or ballot measures. Any posts that violate these rules will be removed. The only exception is posts or entries made to CitizenLink.
2. RELIANCE ON POSTED INFORMATION. The opinions, ideas, views and recommendations expressed on any of the blogs or forums hosted by Focus do not necessarily represent those of Focus. Therefore, we encourage you to be discerning and wise when reading the comments posted by other users. Focus is not and will not be responsible for any misleading, false, or otherwise injurious information and advice communicated on forums or blogs hosted by Focus, or for any results obtained from the use of such information or advice. Focus will not be liable for any loss or damage suffered by a user through the user’s reliance on information and advice gained from forums or blogs hosted by Focus.
3. USER SAFETY. Focus is concerned about the safety and privacy of all its users. As stated above, please refrain from posting any personal identifying information to any Focus site. In order to protect your safety and the safety of your family, Focus may delete in their entirety any posts containing any such identifying information. As an additional measure to provide safety to our online community, we will not facilitate or allow private contacts between users.
4. MODERATING. Focus may, but has no obligation, to monitor the materials posted to Focus sites. Notwithstanding this right, you remain solely responsible for the content of the materials you post to any Focus site. Once a post is submitted, it may be reviewed by Focus staff moderators for content, length, privacy, appropriateness, and/or the use of any personal identifying information, and removed. Focus may contact or respond to users individually regarding the nature or content of their posts. In addition, Focus may remove and delete in their entirety any posts that violate the law or these Posting Guidelines, or for any other reason in Focus’ sole discretion. Focus may close any conversation by locking the thread.
6. COPYRIGHT Act Agent. Focus respects the intellectual property rights of others, and requires that the people who use our sites do the same. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please forward the following information to the Copyright Agent named below:
- Your address, telephone number, and email address;
- A description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed;
- A description of where the alleged infringing material is located;
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by you, the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
- An electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest; and
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
Focus on the Family
8605 Explorer Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80920
7. How to Contact Us. We welcome your participation in our online communities! If you would like personal help regarding a specific need, our staff would be honored to come alongside you. Simply e-mail us at email@example.com. Also, we havelicensed counselors available to offer assistance. If you have any additional comments or questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, 1-800-232-6459, or write us at: Focus on the Family, 8605 Explorer Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80920.
Last Revised December 2012.