Prayer is one of the most beneficial things you can do for your marriage.
Most Christian couples have heard that advice and believe it. But prayer still falls by the wayside when life gets busy and responsibilities demand our time and attention.
How can we incorporate prayer into our marriage in a way that not only helps us grow closer to our spouse but also deepens our relationship in Christ?
We’re answering that question on our Focus on the Family Broadcast “Praying for Your Marriage Is Essential” with our guest Jodie Berndt, a public speaker, Bible teacher, and the author of 10 books, including the best-selling Praying the Scriptures series.
In our conversation, she helps couples learn how to pray over their marriages with intentionality by understanding the following principles:
- Developing Your Spiritual Feet in Marriage: Why developing a prayer life with your spouse is one of the best things you can do for your marriage.
- Prayer is Communication: You and your spouse may have different personalities, but you can learn to listen well despite those differences.
- Handling Conflict: Conflict is inevitable in marriage. How to pray to keep an unselfish and “team-focused” attitude.
- Praying for Protection: Unity in marriage will prepare you for the storms to come and protect your relationship through it.
- Praying for Your Finances: Finances are a matter of stewardship, not ownership.
- Submission and Service to One Another: Yielding your desires in marriage can be difficult, but God wants you to find ways to “out serve” one another in marriage.
- When Suffering Comes: Why praying for your marriage to be strengthened in spite of your circumstances is vital.
- Having Fun with Your Spouse: Why your prayers for your marriage will bear fruit well beyond your years on earth.
Before I close, I’d like to extend an invitation for you to become a special partner with us through our monthly “Friends of Focus on the Family” program. When you do, I’ll send you a copy of Jodie Berndt’s book Praying the Scriptures for Your Marriage: Trusting God with Your Most Important Relationship as a way of saying thank you for touching others with the love of Christ. To make your pledge, or for more information, click here or call 1-800-A-FAMILY (232-6459).