As I’ve noted before, Big Tech titans are the new emperors of the twenty-first century, wielding an inordinate amount of power by silencing individuals and organizations that don’t comport or cave to their political or social point of view.
In recent weeks, high-profile, outspoken individuals have been banned from social media, including former President Donald Trump and Mike Lindell, CEO and founder of My Pillow.
You can now add Focus on the Family’s The Daily Citizen to the list.
This past week, Twitter locked The Daily Citizen for an alleged rules violation, specifically that we had posted “hateful” content.
It’s simply not true. We did no such thing.
At issue was a Tweet pointing to a story about Dr. Rachel Levine, President Biden’s controversial nominee for Assistant Secretary for Health at the Department of Health and Human Services.
The tweet included the following sentence:
“Dr. Levine is a transgender woman, that is, a man who believes he is a woman.”
It seems, according to Twitter, simply acknowledging biological fact is now “hateful.”
As we noted to Twitter in our appeal (we have since been denied), we were deeply puzzled as to why we’re not permitted to simply acknowledge the definition of what transgender women are – those born male who believe they are a woman, regardless of whether they have had opposite-sex hormones or surgeries.
The article itself had absolutely nothing to do with Dr. Levine’s “trans” identification. It had to do with his fitness for the job based on his previous record.
We’ve asked Twitter to explain what was wrong with our wording and even asked them how we might describe Dr. Levine to their liking. At this writing, we haven’t heard back.
Over the course of the last week, President Biden has been stressing the need for unity – but his actions since taking office are all about demanding uniformity. There appears to be no room for convictional disagreement.
You will comply – or be silenced.
The “Cancel Culture” is barreling down the track like a runaway train on a mountain pass, threatening to run over anyone in its path.
I recently came across this list of individuals, in addition to President Trump, Mike Lindell and The Daily Citizen, who have been silenced in recent days:
· Curt Schilling — had his insurance dropped by AIG; may not make Hall of Fame today because of statements supporting conservative causes
· Brandon Eich — Mozilla CEO, ousted after it was discovered he’d privately given money in support of California’s anti-gay marriage referendum in the past
· Martina Navratilova — thrown off LGBT advocacy board and loses speaking engagements and documentary after arguing that transgender male athletes shouldn’t be able to compete in women’s sports
· JK Rowling — prevented from getting last book published because of tweets making distinctions between the sexes
· Ariel Pink dropped from record label for attending Trump rally, not to mention all of the people who have been fired from jobs for attending the January 6 rally, regardless of whether they even came near the Capitol
· CrossFit founder Greg Glassman forced to sell company after making remarks critical of the rioting last year
It goes on and on. And we’re only at the beginning of a coordinated effort to silence those of us with socially conservative convictions.
I’ll have a lot more to say about this in the coming days, but please be in prayer for us as we navigate this cultural maelstrom. In reality, this tension over free speech and religious liberty have existed from the earliest days of the country – but it’s exacerbated and magnified in this post-Christian era.
Speaking before the Senate on May 27, 1834, Daniel Webster observed, “The contest, for ages, has been to rescue liberty from the grasp of executive power.”
The left will grasp for power. Our job is to clasp our hands together in prayer as we work to be a loving and attractive—and faithful—witness to the power and love of Jesus Christ.