According to the National Science Foundation:
- People think an average of 12,000 to 60,000 thoughts per day.
- 80% of those thoughts are negative.
- And 90% of those thoughts are repetitive.
That’s why author Ted Lowe – founder and director of MarriedPeople.org, an organization dedicated to strengthening marriages – says one of the best things you can do for your marriage is to learn how to change your own mind.
Embracing a positive mindset boosts confidence, wards off depression and anxiety, and helps manage stress. And when you think more positively about your spouse, your marriage is more likely to change for the better.
On our Focus on the Family Broadcast “Changing Your Mindset in Marriage,” Ted Lowe is with us to share five questions that will help you change how you think about your spouse and create a healthier, more loving marriage:
- What do you think about yourself? What is my identity in Christ?
- What do you think about your spouse? Focus on the positive things you love about your spouse.
- What do you think about your spouse’s emotions? How can you walk with your spouse through their struggles without trying to fix things?
- What do you think about your response? When something your spouse does triggers you, how can you pause and think through your response instead of immediately reacting?
- What do you think is the purpose of marriage? How can you reflect the love of Christ to your spouse and to the world?
To create a more loving and healthy marriage, listen to my full conversation with Ted Lowe on your local radio station, online, on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, via Google Podcasts, or take us with you on our free phone app.
Ted Lowe’s book Us in Mind: How Changing Your Thoughts Can Change Your Marriage is available for a gift of any amount. And when you help Focus on the Family today with a gift, your donation will be DOUBLED for TWICE the impact in helping others through this ministry. Our thanks to generous donors who’ve made that possible. For more information, click here or call 1-800-A-FAMILY (232-6459).