At some point in our lives all of us ask those big questions.
“Why am I here?”
“Where am I going?”
“Does God exist?”
“What’s the meaning of life?”
We’re exploring these questions and others on our Focus on the Family Broadcast “Living As Salt and Light in Today’s Culture” with our good friend and former colleague, Dr. Del Tackett.
Dr. Tackett is a speaker, author, professor, and founder of Soli Deo Gloria Ministries. He formerly served as a VP for Focus on the Family and was president of our Focus on the Family Institute.
You may be aware that he created and hosted The Truth Project, a comprehensive worldview video series and small-group study that was produced by Focus on the Family. Since then, he’s continued producing many other worldview video projects, impacting more than 15 million people.
He’s joining us on our program to share about his latest series, called The Engagement Project, a 10-part video curriculum set in a classroom that challenges us to think more deeply about the ways in which we steward our lives, our faith, and work with God to accomplish His will.
Most Christian thinkers identify four key eras or “epics” in terms of human history:
- Fall of Man
- Redemption through Christ
- Final Restoration with the return of Christ.
Dr. Tackett proposes a 5th epic to categorize the current time period in which we modern Christians live: engagement. This time period (fully explored in The Engagement Project) is defined by three questions:
- Why did Jesus leave? Wouldn’t our lives be better/easier if Jesus still physically lived among us? Dr. Tackett explains why, through the power of the Holy Spirit, the Church’s impact can be exponentially greater than what Jesus did in his time on earth.
- Why does God send us? Why does an all-knowing and all-powerful God want to work through finite creatures like us to accomplish His will?
- What is God’s endgame? The beginning days of creation echo with God’s command to “be fruitful and multiply.” God equipped plants, animals, and people to be creative agents in this world.
For further insight into the Christian faith, you may be interested in a free online booklet we’ve written called, “Coming Home: An Invitation to Join God’s Family,” which explains what it means to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.