Jean and I have taught our boys all their lives that they won’t discover their worth in athletic abilities, academics, popularity, or anything external. Their value comes from being a child of the eternal God!
Adults need this reminder, too. It’s just as easy for us to look for security in things outside of God – a job title, a new car, a nice home, even certain relationships. It’s not always easy to break free from our pursuit of external validation and find our rest in Christ (Matthew 11:28).
On our Focus on the Family Broadcast “Living Out Loud: Embracing Your Confidence,” our guest Deborah Pegues will help you throw off your insecurity and experience peace in the midst of a chaotic world.
Deborah is an internationally known Bible teacher and a popular guest here at Focus. She shares a good approach for developing a healthy identity in Christ:
- Recognize symptoms of insecurity – To gain confidence, assess your current level of insecurity. Ask yourself if you struggle with envy, people pleasing, and workaholism.
- Overcome roadblocks to confidence – Seek help from God and others to overcome unhealthy behaviors that prevent you from achieving emotional security.
- Plot strategies to manage insecurity – Create habits that help you find security in God, remember His promises, and manage internal criticism.
- Develop habits of confident people – Be open to giving and receiving feedback. Embrace practical steps for experiencing God’s peace.
Then she explains how to experience inner tranquility through the acronym PEACE:
- P – Prioritize every aspect of life according to God’s Word.
- E – Expect more from God and less from people.
- A – Acknowledge God in all of your decisions.
- C – Cultivate an attitude of contentment.
- E – Eliminate unrighteous behavior.
While you’re online, you may also be interested in a free booklet we’ve written called, “Coming Home: An Invitation to Join God’s Family,” which explains what it means to have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
I’d like to extend an invitation for you to become a special partner with us through our monthly “Friends of Focus on the Family” program. When you do, I’ll send you a copy of Deborah’s book Thirty Days to a Stronger, More Confident You: Secrets to Bold and Fearless Living as a way of saying thank you for touching others with the love of Christ. You’ll also receive member-exclusive benefits. To make your pledge, or for more information, visit our website or call 1-800-A-FAMILY (232-6459).