Single moms face unique challenges when it comes to raising boys. A single mom is always interacting with her son because she’s the only parent, but that doesn’t mean she’s connecting with him in the way she wants or in the way he needs. Unlike a mother and a daughter, who both relate to the female experience, the gap between a mother and her son widens as he grows older.
How can a single mom step more deeply into her son’s world?
We have encouragement and practical avice on our Focus on the Family Broadcast “Help for Single Moms Raising Boys.” Our guest is Roland C. Warren, CEO of Care Net, a pro-life ministry that supports a network of pregnancy centers and helps women in crisis pregnancies.
Roland, who was raised by a single mom himself, is sharing tips from his book Raising Sons of Promise: A Guide for Single Mothers of Boys that will help you equip your sons to become godly men:
- Beware of “little man syndrome.” Too often, boys in single-mother homes try to take on an adult role too young. Try not to lean on your son to be the “man of the house” before he’s emotionally, physically, and mentally mature.
- Invest early. Listen to your son when he’s little, even when he’s talking about video games or comic books. Otherwise, he may not trust you to listen when he’s older and has serious issues on his mind.
- Enter his world. Find ways to engage your son in conversation, even if you don’t know much about the things that interest him. Ask a lot of questions.
- Embrace imperfect timing. Your son’s timing may not match yours. He may need time to process your questions alone before he processes them with you. Or he may want to talk at inopportune times, like at bedtime when you’d rather go to sleep.
- Honor honesty. Show your son that he can always tell you the truth and that you’re a safe place to confess his struggles and failures.
Some of Roland’s ideas will prove helpful to single dads as well, but the focus of this program is single moms who are working hard at what is often a thankless job. With the right support and influence, all of your dedication and hard work can pay off.
Tune in to our program on your local radio station, online, on iTunes, via Podcast, or on our free phone app.
Roland’s book Raising Sons of Promise: A Guide for Single Mothers of Boys is available for a gift of any amount. Click here for details.
Leave a Reply