If you’re like most parents with students in the home, the coronavirus pandemic has thrown a real wrench in academic plans – not just for the last two months but even looking ahead to the prospect of summer camps and other nontraditional instruction.
For the last 57 years, our friends over at Summit Ministries in Manitou Springs– led by Jeff Myers – have been helping to equip high school and college students during the summer months to become next generation leaders. It’s a one-of-a-kind, life-changing program that’s been housed in an old hotel in the quaint mountain town that sits at the foot of Pikes Peak.
In past years, I’ve been privileged to be one of the presenters, and the students are always top notch. The material has a Christian worldview emphasis and challenges attendees to make their beliefs their own and learn how to defend their faith in a culture that seems determined to challenge the Judeo-Christian tradition.
It’s just a great environment, and those who have attended talk about the experience for the rest of their lives.
The COVID-19 pandemic has forced Summit to make some changes to the program, but the adjustments are actually making the instruction easier to access and participate in than ever before.
Unlike previous years, students won’t be gathering in Manitou Springs but instead assembling at home.
As a special bonus, students (age 16-25) who sign up will be able to earn free college credits. That’s right – free!
Here are some of the details:
- The inaugural sessions of Summit Virtual will be held May 25–29, June 8–12, June 22–26 and July 6–10.
- Session will include five days of live interaction with world-class experts and best-selling authors in apologetics and worldview.
- Participants will earn free college credit, up to 3 credit hours ($1,800 value).
- Students will be able to discuss what they’re learning in small groups and receive personalized one-on-one mentoring.
- Participants receive access to a global 24-hour hotline if they need to talk.
The cost of the program is $497, which again includes up to three college credits that would ordinarily cost $625 each. Registration is now open at https://www.summit.org/virtual/. Summit Ministries is not affiliated with Focus on the Family, but for the last 43 years it’s always been our privilege to recommend resources that will strengthen your family. Please trust me when I say that you couldn’t find a more solid and worthy way for your teen or young adult to spend a week this summer than participating In Summit Virtual.